ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, April 8, 2011

Temper Tantrums

Whoever came up with the term ‘terrible twos’ must not have had children because it definitely starts way before two and from what I hear lasts well beyond two.  I can’t say when it officially started but last Sunday proved to me that it has definitely started. 

I never thought I would be the mom with the screaming kid on aisle 5 but sure enough last Sunday I was….twice.  The first episode happened at Kroger.  Lexi had been riding fairly peacefully in a grocery cart that had a car in the front.  She lasted all of about 10 minutes in that and was ready to get out, letting me know by repeatedly saying “All done.”  I told her she could get out but had to ride in the regular cart.  Well that just set her off.  I tried to put her in but she locked her legs.  Eventually I got her in but she was already screaming at the top of her lungs by this point.  I swear it went on for a good five minutes.  Luckily no one dared come down the aisle, well except for a little old lady to ask Alexa what was wrong.  Thanks for the help lady!  I was not giving in to let her out because once we went down that path she’d never sit in the cart again.  I tried my best to keep my cool.  Finally I managed to calm her down by giving her my cell phone to watch a movie.  We made it through the checkout lane with just a minor fuss.  I was so frustrated when I got home though!

The second episode happened at Kohl’s.  Yep, I was dumb enough to agree to take her someplace else.  But I thought since she’d be able to run around freely it certainly wouldn’t be a problem.  Plus Brian was with this time.  Boy was I wrong!  Everything was fine for the first 10 minutes.  Then Brian decided he would take Lexi over to the men’s clothing section.  My parting words were “Good luck with that.”  About 5 minutes later I went back to find them.  I knew right where they were because I could hear our sweet little angel screaming “No! No! No!” and then saw her running with Brian not too far behind.  We decided this would be a good time to check out.  Brian proceeded through the checkout and I stayed back with Lexi in the clothing section.  She spotted a pole hanging on the wall and she wanted it.  I told her no and tried to take her someplace else.  That’s when she flipped out.  I’m not exaggerating here.  She was so angry with me!  I have never seen anger like that in someone’s eyes.  Mix that look with her swinging at me and it’s a pretty unimaginable scene.  Of course anyone that walked by stared like hawks even though I was trying to duck down and hide.  I tried being calm and talking softly but the more I talked the angrier she got so I gave up.  Finally Brian was done and we walked outside with Lexi kicking and screaming in Brian’s arms. 

I have never felt more like a failure than I did at that moment.  My life is for the most part very well controlled and no matter what I tried there was no controlling that situation.  That’s a pretty hard thing to swallow when you’re a control freak!  I know I am not the only parent that has experienced this and it doesn’t mean I’m a bad parent (blah blah blah) but knowing that I have company in my misery isn’t exactly helping me.  I’m literally on the verge of submitting our story to Super Nanny!   

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone! I just don't really take Landon to stores with me anymore cause it's simply not fun, and can be embarassing. He caused a BIG scene at Target a month or so ago cause I had to take something away from him. Screamed bloody murder as if I had hit him. Yep, everyone was looking. One minute our kids are angels and the next they are little devils. Ha! ;) Life never has a dull moment.

    ReplyDelete