ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Keaton Week 5

Another week flies by!  Not a ton has happened in the last week but here are some updates on Keaton:

Feeding
Since I started his sleep training I wanted to be able to monitor how much he was eating at each feeding so I started pumping and bottle feeding him during the day.  This has also allowed me more flexibility to be able to leave him for more than a couple of hours and Brian can help with the feedings too.  The goal with training is to get him to eat every four hours during the day to get a minimum total of 24 oz in a day.  Ideally he'd take 6oz at each feeding during the day and not require any nighttime feedings.  We're not quite there yet but we're making progress.  He's done great transitioning from eating every 2 hours in the first 2 weeks to every 3 hours in week 3 and now he's up to every 4 hours.  He's tummy is still too little to be able to hold 6oz though so he usually only eats 4 1/2 to 5 oz at each feeding.  This means he still needs to eat once or twice throughout the night.

Sleeping
As I mentioned in my last post, we started doing his bedtime routine with his last bottle around 7pm.  We don't really have much to the routine yet because 7pm tends to be his fussy time so there's not really any chance to read a book or do anything other than give him his bottle.  Eventually I plan to do a similar routine as what we did with Alexa which included a bath and book before his bottle.  Speaking of baths, Alexa just loved baths from the moment she was born.  Unfortunately, Keaton not so much!  He pretty much screams the entire time, so baths are pretty quick!  Hopefully that changes as he gets older.  It makes it so much easier when they like their bath!

He usually will do a 5 to 7 hour stretch at night when he finally falls sleep, then another 3 to 4 hour stretch, and another 2 to 3 hours until he gets up for the day at 7am.  He seems to be in a fairly consistent routine so I'm hoping to just keep stretching his sleep longer.  I think until he can start eating more throughout the day though he probably won't be able to go more than 7 hours or so without eating.

We're still trying to figure out naptimes.  I've tried to put him in his crib for his official naps but I think he prefers to be held while he's sleeping during the day!


Interaction
Keaton still sleeps for most of the day so there's not much interaction with him.  Sometimes after his morning bottle he'll stay awake for an hour or so.  He's usually content looking around but only for a max of 30 to 45 minutes and then he starts to fuss.  I'm sure he's either bored or tired but there's not really much I can do to entertain him!  He does love going outside though so we've been enjoying this beautiful weather and going on lots of walks.  I'm sure over the next few weeks we'll start to be able to interact more and it will be easier keeping him awake and entertained.  I don't know what we're going to do when it starts to get cold outside.  We might have to put him in a snowsuit so he can go outside!

5 Week Picture


More pics:


No comments:

Post a Comment