Last week I started sleep training and Keaton had been doing fairly well. His bedtime bottle was 7pm and most nights he'd go until 2am or 3am, one night even going until 4am. Although this was great, getting him to sleep after his bottle was always a struggle. He'd finish his bottle sometime between 7:15pm and 7:30pm and he'd usually fall asleep drinking it but as soon as I laid him down in his crib he'd be wide awake. This wasn't necessarily a problem though since part of sleep training is putting him to bed awake and allowing him to learn to fall asleep on his own. The problem is that he's not really doing so well falling asleep on his own! He'll lay in his crib for a few minutes then start to cry. I let him cry and he'll usually stop within 3 minutes before I would go in there. But then he'll cry again for another couple minutes, stop for a couple minutes, cry again, etc. This will go on for at least an hour before he finally gives up. Then he'll have a good stretch of sleep (5 to 7 hours) and he'll wake to eat again. He'll usually fall asleep again while I'm feeding him but then wake up when I put him back in his crib and we start the whole crying on and off for another hour or two. This makes for a very long night! While I'm grateful he has one long stretch of sleep, I almost think it would be better if he was waking every 2 to 3 hours but going right back to sleep after he eats! I know he's tired, I just don't understand why he fights it so much! Speaking of, he's supposed to be napping right now but he's crying, fighting his sleep again!
Okay, so last night was the worst night we've had so far for several reasons. Keaton had his bottle at 7pm but didn't fall asleep until 8:30pm. I went to bed at 9:30pm but couldn't fall asleep until 11ish. Then he woke up at 1am, I fed him and put him back to bed but he fussed until about 3:30am. Then around 4:30am I heard Oscar pacing around the room. He wasn't whining, just pacing. About the same time I hear Keaton starting to fuss. So I get up to go in his room and as soon as I sit up from the bed I smell poop. I turn on the bedroom light and sure enough Oscar had pooped on the floor...in 3 different spots...including on top of my laptop! So I woke up Brian to take on poop clean up duty while I tried to get Keaton back to sleep. Keaton then continued to fuss until around 5:45am when I finally fed him again. Then he slept for about an hour until his 7am first feeding of the day. Ugh...rough night! I'm not sure who's worse at this point, Oscar or Keaton! I don't remember Alexa being this bad of a sleeper!
I've decided I'm definitely not one of those people that enjoys the newborn stage. Some people just love the newborn stage but I think I enjoy it much more once they can interact and are sleeping through the night :-) I just have to keep reminding myself that it will get better soon!


No comments:
Post a Comment